The Republic of Seychelles
President Danny Faure
Travel & Visa
- Age 112! Seychelles' oldest citizen celebrates another year around the sun January 27, 2021It was an intimate affair for supercentenarian Nancy Marie, who celebrated her 112th birthday on Tuesday. With COVID-19 present on the island nation, Marie's celebration of her grand birthday was spent quietly at home with her immediate family but with wishes from all over the country. Marie, who was born on the archipelago's […]
- Seychellois residents over age 60 begin getting COVID vaccinations; big turnout shows high demand January 26, 2021People in Seychelles over the age of 60 started getting their first dose of the Covishield COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, as the health ministry rolled out the vaccination campaign for the most vulnerable age group. Seychelles started its vaccination programme on January 10, with the Sinopharm vaccine, which can be administered to people between 18 […]
- Seychelles begins next phase of vaccination campaign, targeting residents age 60 and up January 26, 2021Seychelles' health authority has started its second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination campaign by administering the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine from India to people 60 years and above. Covishield, as the vaccine is also known as, was given to the country's leaders on Tuesday and will then be administered to health workers as well as to people […]
- National Assembly leaders respond to State of Nation address by Seychelles' President January 25, 2021The two leaders in the Seychelles' National Assembly on Monday responded to the State of the Nation address of President Wavel Ramkalawan. The Leader of the Opposition, Sebastien Pillay, said that the president did not outline the real plans of the new government to address and overcome the current situation the country is facing. Pillay […]
- Overnight curfew introduced, movement restrictions extended to help Seychelles fight COVID-19 January 25, 2021In a bid to curb community transmissions and the spread of COVID-19, authorities in Seychelles have extended restrictions on movement to February 15 and introduced new stringent measures. The measures include a curfew from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. when no one is allowed to be on the road, except for essential workers who will […]
- 50,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from India arrives in Seychelles January 23, 2021People in Seychelles age 60 and older will soon be able to get vaccinated against COVID-19 after the island nation received 50,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from India on Friday. The doses of the vaccine, known in India as Covishield, arrived in Seychelles onboard a special flight operated by an Indian Navy Aircraft, which […]
- State of the Nation: Seychelles’ President sees victory over COVID-19, more jobs January 22, 2021In his first State of the Nation address, Seychelles President Wavel Ramkalawan said Friday he sees the island nation overcoming the setbacks of COVID-19, more jobs for Seychellois and signalled big changes could be coming for Air Seychelles. The President addressed the National Assembly 89 days after he assumed the presidency on October 25. Ramkalawan started […]
- Seychelles’ longest-serving woman parliamentarian dies; remembered as an adventurous patriot January 22, 2021Seychelles’ longest-serving woman parliamentarian – Joevana Charles – died at her home on Sunday. She was 66. Her funeral was held on Friday at the St Therese church at Plaisance.. The retired member of the National Assembly served in the legistlative body from the return of the multiparty system in 1993 until 2016. Charles was […]
- Seychelles ranks 3rd in world for percentage of population vaccinated against COVID-19, official says January 21, 2021Seychelles is ranked third in the world in terms of vaccinations administered, said a top official. 13,163 vaccinations have been given in the eleven days since the island nation launched its vaccination campaign, the Public Health Commissioner told a press conference on Thursday. “Seychelles as of the 16th is ranked fifth, but when you look […]
- New school year in Seychelles starts virtually amidst COVID-19 January 21, 2021Students in Seychelles this week began a new school year at home for the first time due to the COVID-19 measures the island nation are observing, as the Ministry of Education adapts to faciliate remote learning. Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday detailing the approach, the Principal Secretary for Education, Odile Decomarmond, said […]
03/10/18 – Justin Etzin traveled to the Seychelles for the Diplomatic Conference. Speaking at the bi-annual event, the Seychelles Diplomat addressed the President, Vice President, Ministers and Consul Generals from around the world on how the worldwide diplomatic Corps can respond more effectively with government and the private sector on matters concerning the environment.
Justin Etzin became a diplomat in November 2009 when he was appointed by The Seychelles Government as The Consul General of The Seychelles for The United States of America.
14/06/18 – Germany’s outgoing ambassador to Seychelles cited increased German tourism and the building of friendlier relations with the island nation as strong achievements during her tenure.
Jutta Frasch paid a farewell visit to President Danny Faure at State House, in the Seychelles capital, Victoria on Wednesday.
25/09/15 – Mr. Joël Morgan, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Transport, is representing President Janes Michel at the United Nations Summit for the adoption of the Post-2015 Development Agenda currently being held in New York, United Nations Headquarters.
15/06/15 – The Seychelles President James Michel has stressed the importance of active participation of women towards achieving economic development in Africa.
Michel made the statement when addressing his African counterparts and other delegates gathered at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg on Sunday for the 25th African Union summit.
30/06/14 – It has been said that when a speaker or presenter puts his notes aside, you can be assured that what he is about to say is coming from his spirit and what you are about to hear is the real deal. This was the case when Seychelles Minister Alain St.Ange chose not to use his prepared notes to address the United Nations (UN) conference on Sustainable Tourism in Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
17/02/14 – Seychelles former President James Mancham has said he will highlight the Indian Ocean’s ‘Blue Economy‘ concept for the sustainable development of marine resources at The Economist’s World Ocean Summit due to take place from February 24 to 26 in San Francisco, USA.
12/11/12 – The Seychelles Offices in the United Kingdom is celebrating a new level of cooperation now that the Seychelles Tourism Board and the Seychelles High Commission in London will be sharing the same offices, effective 1st December 2012.
The country’s two official offices, which were operating in different locations in central London, will now operate from their new Knightsbridge address. The Seychelles High Commission has already moved into the new office since September and will be joined by the Seychelles Tourism Board in three weeks time.
24/09/10 – Seychelles turned a challenge into an opportunity by its quick response to the world economic crisis, Vice-President and Finance Minister Danny Faure has said in New York.
He was addressing Seychelles’ first international economic forum outside the country.