Work Permit Seychelles
Information for foreign persons wishing to work in the Seychelles
About a quarter of the Seychelles population are expatriate workers and the Seychelles continues to welcome foreign workers to help our booming construction and tourism industries. With a low unemployment rate of just 3.5%, idyllic living conditions and huge growth in investments in businesses in the island, the Seychelles presents many opportunities for expatriate workers. If you are looking for more information about work permit Seychelles, then this guide will give you all the info you need in order to secure a work permit and begin working in the Seychelles.
To enter the Seychelles as an employee or self-employed person then you must apply for a Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP).
Why Get A Work Permit Seychelles
Owing to its unique beauty, colourful Creole culture and year-round summer, Seychelles is renowned for being the ideal holiday destination. However over the years, the Islands’ value has also been found in its commitment to environmental protection, the value of its EEZ, its political stability, attractive business conditions, tri-lingual population, growing infrastructure and strategic location, thus making Seychelles attractive as an investment jurisdiction.
The location of the Seychelles Islands gives it excellent air connectivity to major hubs in the Middle East, Europe, Africa and Asia. This is coupled with a favourable time zone of GMT + 4. The World Bank Gross National Income (GNI) per capita framework has moved the Seychelles economy into the high-income group with a 2017 estimated GDP per capita of $15,515.
In an effort to continue improving the investment landscape, the Seychelles Government has plans to expand the Seychelles International Airport and the Victoria Sea Port. Work is also underway to install a second Submarine Fiber Optic Cable. This shows a commitment towards continuous infrastructure development to support investments.
- Located in the heart of the Indian Ocean with excellent air connectivity to major hubs in the Middle East, Europe, Africa and Asia.
- The main population is situated outside the cyclonic belt.
- Favourable time zone of GMT+4.
- Temperature ranges from 25-32 degrees Celsius throughout the year.
- 96% literacy rate with increasingly educated and skilled workforce.
- Politically and economically stable environment.
- A growing economy with expanding opportunities in Fisheries, Agriculture, Real Estate, Adventure Tourism, ICT and Energy.
- Fiscal incentives for investments in the Tourism, Agriculture, Energy and Fisheries sector.
- 1st in Africa and 28th in the world on the Corruptions Perceptions Index 2018.
- 2nd Highest GDP per Capita in Africa.
- Offers a world class financial centre with no foreign exchange restrictions.
- Ranked second for the Mo Ibrahim Index of African Governance.
- Second in Africa on the corruption Perception Index (Transparency International).
- Ranked first in Africa for Human Development Index.
A Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP)/Work Permit allows the holders to be gainfully occupied in Seychelles and this could be an employer or as a self-employed person.
The application for the Gainful Occupation Permit should be submitted at least ten weeks before the employee is due to start work, they must not enter the country for the purpose of taking up employment prior to obtaining the GOP.
An application form is to be completed by the person seeking the permit in the case of a self-employed or by the prospective employer.
The fee for processing the application is SR1000/.
There is a fee for the whole duration of the permit being sought for of SR700/- per month and should also accompany the application.
In addition to applying for the Gainful Occupation Permit, you must also do the following:
• persons who want to start a business need to obtain the approval from the Seychelles Investment Bureau;
• the professional qualifications of a person accepting the job in Seychelles need to be provided to the authorities;
• information about the financial status to see if the applicant can support himself/herself in Seychelles;
• the proof that the application fees have been paid before applying for the employment visa.
As soon as the GOP has been issued, foreigners need a residence permit to legally stay in the Seychelles. A bank account needs to be considered if the foreigners have a residence permit issued for more than just one month of living in Seychelles.
Residence Permits are issued to a person who:
- is not a prohibited immigrant;
- has a family or domestic connect with Seychelles;
- has made or will make special contribution to the economic, social or cultural life of Seychelles.
The holder of the Residence Permit-
- must during the validity of the permit reside in Seychelles for at least five days during each twelve months of the term of the permit;
- if the permit holder resides in Seychelles for more than one month (in any year) he/she shall keep a deposit with a bank in Seychelles or provide a bank guarantee to the Director General of Immigration, of not less than SR20,000/- and allow the Director General of Immigration to draw on the deposit or call on the guarantee for the purpose of meeting expenditure incurred by the government in connection with the care, treatment or maintenance within or removal from Seychelles of the permit holder and his/her dependants;
The fee for processing the application is US5/- and the fee for the resident Permit is SR50,000/- for the main application and SR25,000/- for the spouse if applied at the same time.
The fee for endorsement of each minor dependant on a Residence Permit is SR1,000/-.